tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [5.0] Connector default configuration + connection timeout
Date Tue, 29 Jul 2003 12:35:35 GMT
Glenn Nielsen wrote:
> Bill Barker wrote:
>> No keepalive sounds like a bad idea:  You are going to free-up
>> connections
>> much faster if you get the image files out the pipe then if the
>> browser is
>> immediately turning around and re-establishing a connection.  It might
>> also
>> be a good idea if there was an option to disable this, for the few cases
>> where you care more about the the connected user's experience then the
>> new-connection speed (Applet classloading comes to mind).
>
> I found the opposite to be true, turning keepalive off is a better solution
> for the server.  There was a very good explanation why this is so at the
> last ApacheCon in an Apache httpd performance tuning session.

Ok, but keepalive in general helps server performance IMO (through
reduced bandwidth usage). When the number of available processors gets
"low", then it could be worth it to disable it (that's what I was
proposing at least). Of course, I don't think it is the buisness of the
TC HTTP/1.1 conector to implement stuff aimed at avoiding serious DoS
attacks, so the idea right now is just to avoid minor problems and to
handle traffic surges better.

Remy