tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Funk <funk...@joedog.org>
Subject Re: [5] welcome files not compliant?
Date Fri, 25 Jul 2003 15:06:39 GMT
[Permit me to be blockheaded for a moment. I really want to understand this
one since it seems it can really confuse users in a test vs production
environment]

So if the webapp is precompiled I get one behavior, and if its not
precompiled I get another behavior? (Scary)

In tomcat's root webapp, the servlet mapping is
<url-pattern>/index.jsp</url-pattern>

If the incoming url is "/". I thought this would trigger the welcome file
logic to take place. The "container" will then look for any URI as defined by
section 11.1 in the order defined by the welcome file list. The default from
the tomcat's web.xml being:
/index.html
/index.htm
/index.jsp

In my case, index.html exists, so it should be served before index.jsp.

 From 9.10 [Proposed Final Draft August 5th 2002]
The web server must append each welcome file in the order specified in the
deployment descriptor to the partial request and check whether a resource in
the WAR is mapped to that request URI. The web container must send the
request to the first resource in the WAR that matches. The match is
determined using the usual path mapping rules in Section 11.1.

Am I missing something more subtle?

-Tim