tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Expose pre-compiled JSPs without servlet mapping
Date Wed, 23 Jul 2003 18:29:09 GMT
Jan Luehe wrote:
> Tim Funk wrote:
>
>> How will phantom pages be addressed? Pages where the jsp once existed
>> but then was deleted, but the corresponding class was not deleted?
>

> That's why I suggested an option for JspServlet that would disable this
> "optimization" and require a servlet mapping for each precompiled JSP.
>
> But your're right, in the case where the optimization is enabled,
> phantom pages will be served, so you better know what you're doing when
> turning on this optimization.
>
> However, based on your and Remy's comments, I've decided to not add this
> feature: too much headache for a small gain (reduced web.xml size).

If you'd like to add that feature to the InvokerServlet, I can change my
vote to 0. (-0 was for adding that to the JspServlet)
I recommend looking at tomcat-deployer to see what it already does
during webapp compilation, though. Indeed the gain is not very big.

(the J2EE specs will obviously have to tackle the deployment descriptor
hell issue, however)

Remy