tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat-jasper/jasper2/src/share/org/apache/jasper/servlet JspServlet.java
Date Wed, 23 Jul 2003 18:21:29 GMT
Jan Luehe wrote:
> one comment, though: By adding the xpoweredBy property to
> CoyoteConnector instead of Host/Context, we get the

> response header even for static resources. You could argue that this is
> OK, since static resources are handled by the DefaultServlet, but it may
> not be very intuitive.
>
> By defining the xpoweredBy property on Host/Context instead, and adding
> the response header in StandardWrapperValve (as in the original commit),
> we could suppress the header if the servlet being invoked is an instance
> of org.apache.catalina.servlets.DefaultServlet.
>
> What do you think?

Arg, what a hack ;-) (and my definition is that we get into the servlet
container; if it's an internal servlet, it seems good enough, and the
page being served was served by a Servlet API 2.4 component)
Come on, this is a stupid feature nobody but marketting cares about (and
I'd say the said marketting folks should forget about it: Netcraft can
count Java powered websites well enough already). I suppose the
reasoning is that IIS/6.0 adds similar self agrandizing headers that it
is .NET 1.1 powered, so we have to do the same. Lame.
So the implementation of the feature has IMO to be as invisible as
possible given its lack of usefulness.

Remy