tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [5.0] Servlet logging and error messages
Date Mon, 21 Jul 2003 15:03:58 GMT
Costin Manolache wrote:
> I don't agree with the last point, but I right now I don't have the time to
> disagree :-)
>
> I'm +1 to have the logs related to a context go to the context log file -
> after the request is mapped to a context. Everything could go in the
> context's log and be controlled by a per-context config file.
>
> However I think the best solution would be to do that by writting some code
> in commons-logging or log4j that would implement the per-context logger.
> For example, as soon as we map to a context we can set a root logger
> associated with the current thread, and make sure the logger uses this
> logger to implement isLogEnabled() and log().
>
> And IMO we should have ServletContext.log and the access log implemented as
> regular commons-logging calls.
>
> Since I don't think I'll have the time to do that in the next month, I'll
> just ask for more details on how are you going to do it and be +0 or -0.

I know, I know, your arguments make sense.

The problem I have with that is that the configuration is not consistent
with the rest of the container configuration (while it should IMO be
integrated). Another problem is that it's not finished, and another one
is that we still need a lot of similar code for our specialized logs
(aka, the access log). So that's why I plan to cut the thing in half and:
- use c-l for all logging for the Tomcat core
- use the Tomcat loggers for all webapp related logging

Remy