tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject [5.0] Servlet logging and error messages
Date Fri, 18 Jul 2003 22:24:06 GMT
I'm working on the following changes:

- Stripping out all the Catalina related part of the stack trace in the
HTML generated by the ErrorReportValve; that eases debugging.

- When an exception occurs, and it is a ServletException, I think the
root cause should be logged, not the external exception, which 99% of
the time is useless.

- I strongly believe that all webapp triggered logging (init errors,
service errors, etc) should go to the servlet container provided logger
(ie Context.getLogger()). Right now, a significant amount is sent to
commons-logging. I was aware that the intent was to switch the container
itself to commons-logging (and I am +1 for it), but c-l or another
generic logging framework such as log4j, is IMO not adapted to provide
the webapp logging (same for the access log, obvioously).

Comments ?

Remy