tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [5.0] [PROPOSAL] Make output buffer size limit configurable
Date Tue, 15 Jul 2003 07:53:30 GMT
Marc Slemko wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Jul 2003, Jan Luehe wrote:
>>I would have expected it to include a "Content-Length" header. Would you
>>agree?
>

> It, umh, can't do that for dynamic content without buffering the
> whole response since it doesn't know how long it is.

Not even that does work, actually. The problem occurs if the servlet
flushes the response before closing it. If that happens, then part of
the response must be sent right away, regardless of the response state.

I don't know if you've seen that a lot (I have), but a lot of servlet
authors do, at the end of their servlets, somthing like:
out.flush();
out.close();
This forces use of chunking (or a connection close in HTTP/1.0 with
keep-alive).

> Hence the main reason for chunked encoding and the requirement
> HTTP/1.1 clients support it.
>
> Any HTTP/1.1 client must support chunked encoding, if not then it is
> broken and really don't need to be taken into account.  If someone
> doesn't want to support chunked encoding, they shouldn't be making
> HTTP/1.1 requests.

Yes, that's the idea :)

Remy