tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [5.0] [PROPOSAL] Make output buffer size limit configurable
Date Tue, 15 Jul 2003 07:39:20 GMT
Jan Luehe wrote:
> I noticed that if I send a request specifying HTTP/1.0 as the protocol
> version, and the response exceeds the output buffer, TC returns an
> HTTP/1.1 response with neither a "Content-Length" nor a
> "Transfer-Encoding: chunked" header.
>
> I would have expected it to include a "Content-Length" header. Would you
> agree?

Of course not, this is completely valid.

The server must:
- return the highest protocol version it supports
- close the connection to indicate the end of the response if the
content-length is not set

I'm wondering why you're desperately trying to find things to fix in
Coyote HTTP/1.1, which AFAIK is quite good in terms of HTTP compliance.
There are still things that can be improved in there, such as the
compression support (but I plan to help, since I'm done with my 5.0.x
feature list), but these are not critical features.
If I could choose, I'd prefer you help fix issues on Jasper, since you
know it well and there are still bugs to fix ;-)

Remy