tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Luehe <Jan.Lu...@Sun.COM>
Subject [5.0] [PROPOSAL] Make output buffer size limit configurable
Date Thu, 10 Jul 2003 16:18:43 GMT
Currently, the limit up to which the size of an
org.apache.coyote.tomcat5.OutputBuffer may grow is identical to the
original buffer size:

     public OutputBuffer(int size) {

         bb = new ByteChunk(size);
         bb.setLimit(size);
         cb = new CharChunk(size);
         cb.setLimit(size);
     }

As a result of this, if the response does not fit in the output
buffer, the buffer is flushed, and the response does no longer include
a "Content-Length" header. Instead, it includes a "Transfer-Encoding"
header whose value is "chunked":

   Transfer-Encoding: chunked

It may be useful (e.g., for some benchmarks such as TPC-W) to be able
to configure a connector such that the buffer size of its responses
grows infinitely, in which case the above "setLimit" calls would not
occur and the response would always include a "Content-Length" header,
no matter how big.

I am proposing a CoyoteConnector attribute "outLimited" (I am open to
other naming suggestions), whose possible values may be "TRUE" (default)
or "FALSE": if "TRUE", the output buffer size limit is set to the output
buffer size (current behaviour), and if "FALSE", an output buffer may
grow infinitely.

Comments?

Jan