tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Glenn Nielsen <gl...@mail.more.net>
Subject Re: [4.1.25] Tag today
Date Thu, 10 Jul 2003 08:27:19 GMT
Remy,

It can wait, go ahead with the release.

But the FileLogger's use of java.sql.Timestamp is a bottleneck,
I have the thread dump stack traces to prove that it is.

Right now the biggest problem I have with Tomcat scaling
is with this type of synchronization bottleneck.

I have thread dump stack traces where two thirds of the
threads are waiting on the same synchronization bottleneck
related to use of one or more of the following classes:

java.util.Date
java.util.TimcZone.getDefault()
java.util.Calendar.getInstance()
java.text.SimpleDateFormat
java.sql.Date
java.sql.Time
java.sql.Timestamp

They all hit the same synchronization bottleneck.  And I have
multiple code bases that have to go through this bottleneck;
Tomcats FileLogger which gets used a great deal for the Connector
log when Tomcat is heavily loaded, the MySQL Connector/J JDBC driver,
and I have customer web application code which hits this also.

Due to scaling problems I setup a second app server and load balancing.
It still did not scale well because of the above synchronization
bottleneck.  Both app servers became overloaded due to this bottleneck.

I now think the best solution might be a commons project
to provide alternate solutions for the above date related classes
designed so that this synchronization bottleneck is avoided.

Regards,

Glenn