tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "David Rees" <...@greenhydrant.com>
Subject Re: java Date related classes synchronization bottlenecks
Date Fri, 11 Jul 2003 15:34:11 GMT
David Cassidy said:

> I've done some tests with the below code
> hope this helps

David,

Could you give this version a try, and run it for 1 million iterations
instead of just 10k?  I'll be posting my results shortly for a couple of
different machines shortly.  The new version keeps the theoretical overall
run time constant by keeping the overall amount of work the same while you
vary the thread count.

So if you supply arguments 1 and 1 million, and then 2 and 1 million, in
the first case 1 thread will go through 1 million iterations, in the
second case each of the two threads will only go throgh 500,000
iterations.  Saves you division.  ;-)

Glenn, it would be interesting for you to modify the code to remove the
synchronization issue and then re-run the quick benchmark.

-Dave