tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From kev <...@neoapathy.org>
Subject Re: [5.0] Removing session recycling code
Date Mon, 07 Jul 2003 22:34:14 GMT
> I'd like to completely remove session recycling code from TC 5, as it
> is a potentially dangerous feature (which has been disabled in TC
> 4.1.x) and does not bring any actual performance improvement while
> using memory.
> The biggest impact of the change is the removal of the recycled array
> list for base manager, which can break existing TC 4 managers. OTOH,
> using that is unsafe, and fixing an affected manager is very easy
> (just remove whatever recylcling code was used).
>
> I plan to keep Session.recycle around (nulling out references can help
> GC, esp since there could be a lot of session objects - with all their
> children - waiting to be GCed).
>
> Comments ?

If it can't be used safely at all my gut instinct would be to remove it
to prevent something from blowing up in peoples faces.  It also sounds
like a "performance enhancement" which has gone wrong, so it's a prime
candidate for removal in my opinion. (But then what do I know :)

erm +1 is it?

Kev

--
"To be governed is to be watched over, inspected, spied on, directed,
legislated..." - Pierre-Joseph Proudhon