tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Barker" <wbar...@wilshire.com>
Subject Re: [5.0] Connector default configuration + connection timeout
Date Mon, 28 Jul 2003 22:03:21 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Remy Maucherat" <remm@apache.org>
To: "Tomcat Developers List" <tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Monday, July 28, 2003 8:16 AM
Subject: [5.0] Connector default configuration + connection timeout

> Hi,
>
> What would be the best connector default configuration ?
>
> I switched HTTP/1.1 to be:
> maxThreads: 100
> minSpare: 1
> maxSpare: 10
> That should be ok for a small/medium site, and bad for a large site. It
> should be decent for benchmarking if there's a warmup period. Should the
> default config be large site compliant ?

Jk-Coyote should probably match the Apache2 defaults, since with the
pre-fork MPM, connections are 1-1 with Apache2 children.

> Also, in order to conserve processors for useful tasks when the load
> increases (and also twart DoS attacks), I was thinking about introducing
>   dynamic scaling for the HTTP connection timeout for keepalive.
> The formula would be something like this.
>
> ratio = maxThreads / currentBusyThreads;
>
> if (ratio between 0 and 0.33) {
>      normal timeout
> } else if (ratio between 0.33 and 0.66) {
>      half timeout
> } else if (ratio between 0.66 and 1) {
>      no keepalive (so only one request is processed per connection),
> timeout / 4 (or maybe more)
> }

No keepalive sounds like a bad idea:  You are going to free-up connections
much faster if you get the image files out the pipe then if the browser is
immediately turning around and re-establishing a connection.  It might also
be a good idea if there was an option to disable this, for the few cases
where you care more about the the connected user's experience then the
new-connection speed (Applet classloading comes to mind).