tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Neil Zanella <>
Subject multiuser setup: please help
Date Thu, 26 Jun 2003 11:47:33 GMT

I have successfully setup Tomcat but now I want the following:

Suppose some Linux based system has a dynamic and constantly changing
number of users ranging in the thousands. I would like to set up
tomcat so that:

   Each user gets a context root in a directory such as:

   This happens in such a way that when a request to a subdirectory
   that looks like the one above is issued, Tomcat automatically
   knows how to handle it. Is this possible?

This would be ideal. I don't see why it shouldn't be possible.

If this is impossible, then consider it to be a missing feature
from tomcat. I almost feel it should be documented somewhere if
available, otherwise, if not available, it should be implemented.

I guess I could define a path mapping of the form:

I actually tried this but it did not work: I used the path mapping
inside the webapps/ROOT/WEB-INF/web.xml file:

<!DOCTYPE web-app

  <description>These examples are from the created contextroot
subdirectory of webapps.</description>
    <description>This web application welcomes you.</description>

I thought I could have the URL execute a servlet, that would execute
then execute a servlet from the users' directory. Sound complicated?
Perhaps there is an easier way???

Suggestions very welcome!!!

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: