tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <>
Subject RE: [5.0.3] Tag soon, 5.0 release plan
Date Tue, 17 Jun 2003 12:54:28 GMT

>complete. What's missing is better docs, and lots of tweaks and fixes.

I'd like to help with the docs.  Can you prioritize what docs you think
need work (or need to be written from scratch)?  I actually have tomcat
commit access already, so there should be no delay like with
commons-modeler ;(

>Note: the rationale behind the "no final before the specs" is beacause:
>- if the specs change and modify a behavior that was introduced in the
>new specs, we'd have to break our API / behavior, which is not really
>- it's a chicken and egg problem: if there's no spec, people will
>(likely) prefer using Tomcat 4.1.x, and so Tomcat 5.0.x wouldn't get
>enough testing to warrant the "stable" label
>Given the last point, the best IMO would be to make a "RC"-like release
>when the specs are released, followed a few weeks later by a final.

I fully agree with the rationale.  We can't make a reference
implementation stable release of a spec that hasn't been released ;)
Having a beta (as opposed to the current alpha) release, marked as
feature complete and just awaiting testing, is good.  We'll be able to
have minimal turnaround time from spec release to tomcat 5 stable

Yoav Shapira

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message