tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Suggestion: Many virtual hosts in Tomcat -> hosts-directory
Date Mon, 23 Jun 2003 11:03:55 GMT
Reinhard Moosauer wrote:
> Hello List,
>
> Tomcat has a very nice feature, which allows dropping .xml in the
> wepapp-directory and automatic deployment of contexts defined therein.
>
> I would suggest the same approach for <Host> definitions.
> For a lot of installations it would _completely_ eliminate the need for
> changes in server.xml.
> I don't know, if such a mechanism is planned for tc5.
> In this case: could we consider a backport of this feature?
>
> I would volunteer for an extension to 4.1. But I would like to hear the
> opinion of the developers.
>
> Here is the to-do-list:
> - add a parameter to the <engine>-Tag: virtualHostDir=""
>   (default: "hosts" for example)
> - (Alternative: the plugin-way: define a <listener>, which does this)
> - deploy all defined "hostxxx.xml" in the given dir on startup.
> - optional: add an "auto-deploy" feature like in webapps
>
> I don't know yet, how invasive the change would be. I am very grateful for any
> hints.
>
> I would like to contribute the extension, if it is well-integrated and
> riskless enough for the stable tree. Otherwise: maybe it works at least for
> me...
>
> Please do not hesitate to give any kind of comments!

I'd considered it a lot lately, but decided against it, as it's not as
hassle free as you make it sound: the biggest problem is configuring the
DNS, so I don't see what the feature would add.

With TC 5, you can dynamically add hosts with:
- JMX (using some agent)
- the admin webapp, like in TC 4.1.x

I think that's good enough, and the extra complexity doesn't seem to add
something of real value.

I'd vote -0 or -1 on the issue.

Remy