tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <>
Subject Re: [5.0] JARs handling, and other 5.0.3 changes
Date Thu, 12 Jun 2003 18:49:13 GMT
Shapira, Yoav wrote:
> Hi,
>>All that as part of an effort to reduce Tomcat memory footprint (to
> make
>>it more suitable for large scale deployments),
> I'm just curious how the two go together?  Wouldn't large-scale
> deployments care less if tomcat's memory footprint was larger?  It's
> typically the small (micro, on chips, PDAs, etc.) scale deployments that
> care more about memory footprint, no?
> I support both goals (memory footprint reduction and making tomcat
> better for large scale deployments), just curious about the above.
> BTW -- I've emailed with the results of my
> committer vote for commons-modeler.  Hopefully that'll get put through
> soon and I can push a commons-modeler-1.1 release.

I should have defined "large scale" a little bit more precisely. I was
talking about web hosting here.

For example, let's say you want to deploy 1000 webapps on a server.
Right now, the caching policy for classes (and other memory wasting
stuff) caused a lot of useless allocation. It could be as much as 1MB /
webapp. So, in that example, we're looking at 1 gig of ram wasted. Of
course, the stuff may be swapped out and never reused, but we need to
optimize it IMO. With TC 4.1.x, in addition to the RAM, it was also 1000
background threads.

To detail what I'd like to improve for who:
- developer: make app reloading better and more efficient (I'll do all I
can to get rid of JAR locking)
- "normal" production user: IMO TC 4.1.x is good enough
- high end production user: scalability improvements (less GC = better
SMP scaling) and optimizations
- web hosting: lots of webapps and hosts, so some additional
improvements are required to make Tomcat really good at that

Thanks a lot for your efforts on the modeler :)

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message