tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat-catalina/catalina/src/share/org/apache/coyote/tomcat5 CoyoteRequest.java
Date Sat, 07 Jun 2003 10:07:59 GMT
Remy Maucherat wrote:
> Jean-Francois Arcand wrote:
>
>> Yes, your explanation makes sence. I will look at the tag code to see
>> what I can find.But the exception also occurs when tag pooling is set
>> to off.
>>
>> If the tag has a bug/not well designed, I still think the app should
>> not fail with an NPE but with an IllegalSomething exception.The
>> CoyoteRequest object shouldn't be set to null when the client still
>> have some reference to it.
>

> Can you build a test case for the issue ? That would be easier than
> trying to guess what's going on (and it must be an obvious bug if
> there's a bug, like for the input stream reading from the char buffer
> ...). You've got to be able to reproduce it without using JSPs or tags
> if it's a valid bug, right ?
>
> -1 about the NPE change. I don't want to add null checks in every method
> to handle the one broken webapp. This doesn't make any sense.

OTOH, here's something I would accept if you want to do that cleanup:
the clear() would associate the facade with a (static final)
HTTPServletRequest implementation which would return an ISE for every
method.
And do the same for the response facade.

I think it's not worth the pain, so I would be +0 for the change.

Remy