tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject [5.0] Commons dependencies
Date Tue, 03 Jun 2003 14:32:02 GMT
Tomcat 5.0.x, like many other major Jakarta projects, depends on a lot
of stuff from the Commons. Most of those are in a stable state, but a
few are either in between two stable releases, or not yet released.

Here's the list of the components which will need to be released as
stable before Tomcat 5.0 gets stable. I'm associating a proposed "owner"
for the component, based on past interactions with the components.

- el: Core JSP 2.0 feature; this is a critical component, and needs to
get released simultaneaously with Tomcat 5; I think a RM is needed for
that component [Kin-Man, Jan, Craig ?]

- modeler: Basis for Tomcat 5 JMX features, with a lot of new
impressively efficient functionality since release 1.0; again, a
critical component [Costin (do you have enough time to continue being
the RM of that component ?)]

- daemon: Home of Mladen's procrun, a very promising exe wrapper for
Java programs on Windows; this also contains a Unix wrapper for Java
programs; the Unix wrapper could be advertised as "the" recommended
solution to run Tomcat on 80 on Unix, and included as source with
Tomcat's binary d/l; this component is currently in the sandbox, and
would need to be either moved ASAP to commons proper, or be migrated to
j-t-c (if thought to be too Tomcat specific to exist in the commons); a
RM will be needed [Mladen, Jean-Frederic]

- dbcp: There are some BZ issues related to DBCP, so if there's a new
DBCP release (I've seen some Struts 1.1 related activity), we'll need to
include it [Glenn]

- fileupload: Used by the HTML manager to upload the webapp to be
deployed; 1.0 RC 1 is soon to be released, with an API breakage
(deprecated method removal between beta releases (TM)); 1.0 is supposed
to occur before Struts 1.1 [Glenn]

I think that's it for now.

About the daemon Unix wrapper: there was some proprietary interfaces
defined in there. It was agreed some time ago to use reflection instead
of these interfaces; looking at the native code, the interfaces are
still being used. Could that be fixed ?

Comments ?

Remy