tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Aditya <adi...@grot.org>
Subject byterange/byte-serving with mod_jk
Date Thu, 19 Jun 2003 22:46:38 GMT
I have a servlet returning PDF stored as a large-object in a database. I was
recently asked why "byte-serving" wasn't turned on and I'm at a loss to try to
understand the situation. From what I've found/understood:

- byte-serving is the term Adobe uses when "chunks" of a PDF are returned by
the server, each with a "byterange" header so that the PDF display program can
start displaying immediately instead of having to wait for the entire file to
be downloaded

- AFAICT, Apache supported this automatically starting in 1.3.14 or so, and it
seems implictly enabled in Apache 2.0 according to:

  http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/developer/filters.html

- it sounds like even if there was a way to convince mod_jk to support this,
it wouldn't really work since you can't "stream" the response to the client
from Tomcat via mod_jk via Apache

- and since the entire PDF would be returned as part of a single SQL request,
it doesn't provide any efficiency/performance gain for Tomcat or even Apache

I'm running Tomcat 4.1 fronted by mod_jk 1.2.5-dev with Apache 2.0.46

So is there anything I'm missing? is there a way to implement short of serving
the PDFs from disk directly by Apache?

thanks,
Adi