tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Schalk" <>
Subject RE: Problems in deploying servlets
Date Thu, 12 Jun 2003 09:05:43 GMT

Basically what I would suggest is as follows:
Go into the webapps directory of Tomcat
Create a directory called myFirstApp
Inside this directory create the WEB-INF directory
Inside the WEB-INF create the directories classes and lib
Place your compiled HelloWorld.class file in the classes folder.

Stop and Start Tomcat
Open your browser
Type: http://localhost:8080/myFirstApp/servlet/HelloWorld

If you want to learn more about deploying webapps you can read up on the
web.xml as well as creating a .war file. These two combined makes
depoyment much simpler and gives you a lot more options.

Kind Regards
Schalk Neethling
Tel: +27125468436
Fax: +27125468436

-----Original Message-----
From: Sumod Pawgi []
Sent: Thursday, June 12, 2003 9:09 AM
Subject: Problems in deploying servlets

I am new to server side programming and learning to
use tomcat.

I have tomcat 4.1.18 that I want to use for deploying

I am trying to develop servlets on apache tomcat.
I have written a simple file and
compiled it successfully.
I have put the .class file in

And I am trying to view the servlet as

But I am not able to view my servlet.

Can someone please help me ; what I should do?
I am new to this stuff and will be very helpful if
someone can help me.

My Personal Website

Only those people with changeless core can cope up with the change.

Do you Yahoo!?

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

To unsubscribe, e-mail: