tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <cmanola...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat + Java Env. (newbie)
Date Sat, 10 May 2003 14:42:26 GMT
Jerald Powel wrote:

> Hello,
>
>       A relatively easy question for most, not for such a beginner like
>       myself.
>
>      Can Tomcat be installed (and run) on the J2ME environment, and
>      likewise the J2EE env. ? Is it simply a question of downloading the
>      appropriate installation of TC, and installing it on top of the
>      desired JVM?

For tomcat4 and tomcat5 - very unlikely, they use a lot of j2se features.

Tomcat3.3 is still JDK1.1 based. I was able at some point to reduce it to
cvm + foundation and run it on a zaurus, and it works well with kaffe (
which has a smaller footprint ) or natively compiled with gcj.

In any case - it is not just a question of downloading it, you need to
figure out what subset you want ( i.e the minimal set of interceptors you
need). I got it to about 0.8M - without too much effort.

Costin