tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Colin Bendell" <cbend...@point2.com>
Subject RE: problem w/ Struts tags in file includes
Date Mon, 12 May 2003 13:43:40 GMT
Our solution, when we moved from weblogic 5.1 (which allowed us to split
tags across jsp files) to jboss was to hack the jasper code to get a
compile.  After that, we adopted the motto 'JSP sucks' and have
endeavored to eliminate jsp's from our applications!

Sorry that I can't be of more help (or encouragement).
/colin

-----Original Message-----
From: TJK [mailto:blackcore@mac.com]
Sent: Sunday, May 11, 2003 8:31 AM
To: Tomcat Developers List
Subject: Re: problem w/ Struts tags in file includes

Thanks for pointing that out!  I never realized that it was part of the
spec.  How do you guys usually accomplish this in practice then?  To
have a standard header include for all .jsp files that may have a
opening tag?  Or am I really destined to have to put <html:html> in
every one of my .jsp files?

-tim

On Friday, May 9, 2003, at 01:43 PM, Kin-Man Chung wrote:

> The spec (JSP 1.2 spec, JSP.2.3.3) says
>
> 	"The start tag cannot be on one file while the end tag is in
> 	another."
>
> Resin is just not spec conformant, though more useful in practice,
IMO.

>> Date: Fri, 09 May 2003 11:14:22 -0400
>> From: TJK <blackcore@mac.com>
>> Subject: problem w/ Struts tags in file includes
>> To: tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org
>>
>> I'm new to this list, but I'm writing in to inquire if there's a
known
>> issue regarding the use of Struts taglibs in Tomcat when they're used
>> in file includes (<%@ include file...)
>>
>> I normally do dev work on Resin, but a client wanted to deploy on
>> Tomcat, so I moved the application over to the latest version
(4.1.24)
>> of Tomcat, and got a JSP compile error.  The client is using 4.0.6,
>> which also exhibits the same problem.
>>
>> Further investigation turned up this interesting problem.  It seems
>> only occur with the <html:html> tag.
>>
>> The jsp page looks sorta like this.
>>
>> <%@ include file="/taglibs.jsp" %>   // includes all tld declarations
>> <%@ include file="/header.jsp" %>    // header stuff which includes
>> the
>>
>> (page contents... w/ struts tags in it)
>>
>> <%@ include file="/footer.jsp" %>    // footer stuff, which includes
>>
>> The above example throws a JSP compile error.  It says it cannot find

>> closing </html:html> element.
>>
>> After much more messing around, I found out to my surprise that by
>> moving both <html:html> tags (both the opening and closing tags) out
>> of
>> the header include files and into the actual .jsp file itself, the
>> page
>> will compile and render properly.  So it would seem that by using it
>> in
>> a include tag, there's something going awry.
>>
>> I searched all around the mailing lists and Google, and I did find
one
>> other guy who complained of an simlilar problem, but no
reply/solution