tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Jolly, Gautam" <gautam.jo...@spirent.com>
Subject NullPointerException on CoyoteRequestFacade, while running HttpUn it Tests
Date Thu, 08 May 2003 01:55:35 GMT
We are trying to load test our web-application using HttpUnit tests against
Tomcat-4.1.24. To do so, we create dozens of threads, each thread firing off
random HttpUnit tests. It works well with upto 5 concurrent threads.
However, as we increase the thread count, intermittent NullPointerExceptions
are raised, while invoking operations on the request stream inside the
servlet/jsp.

This is the stacktrace
            at
org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.CoyoteRequestFacade.removeAttribute(CoyoteRequestF
acade.java:239)

On closer inspection, it seems like the the clear() method of the
CoyoteRequestFacade object is being fired, even while the request stream is
in use in the servlet/jsp. The clear() method of the CoyoteRequestFacade
object is being invoked by the CoyoteRequest.recycle() method.

Is there any Tomcat thread which fires off the recycle() method on the
pooled CoyoteRequest objects?
Has anyone come across this problem?
Is this a known issue?

We've come across similar errors while testing against Tomcat-4.1.18 as
well.

Thanks,

Gautam