tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Funk <funk...@joedog.org>
Subject [ot] Re: Calling a generated JSP servlet directly
Date Fri, 23 May 2003 13:46:09 GMT
This is off topic from tomcat-dev list. This might be relevant for
tomcat-user, but even seems off-topic for that list.

 > For instance, we'd like to format the content of an HTML-newsmail using
 > a JSP. The formatted content would then be used to create the body of
 > an email.

I really don't understand what the above means. An email is a static piece of
text. (which could included different parts composed of different mimetypes
such as html) Does the above really mean mean obtaining the output of a web
request (specifically a jsp) and constucting an email? In that case the topic
you want to look for would be web services, ala SOAP, XML-RPC, etc. Or does
it mean an email will hit a webserver to pull a jsp page, in which I don't
care since I don't allow any of my email programs to perform any action other
than present static text.

-Tim

Martin van Dijken wrote:
>>- tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
>>- google
>
> Hmm, guess I should consider that a hint?
>

>>- wget (web page puller) + cron (schedule)
>
> I'm aware of functionality such as simply opening a HttpUrlConnection or this wget you
mention, but this is explicitly NOT what I'm looking for. I want to be able to manipulate
the request Object sent into the JspServlet.

> Also I need to bypass HttpSecurity and not run the risk of being stopped by firewalls
and everything. We've got a setup using java UrlConnection going for a while now and it simply
causes too many issues for our hosting partner.

> Could it be fathomable that JSP would be used as a more general template language ala
xslt instead of purely for formatting web pages? Seems to me it has all the power or even
more than xslt in many cases. Of course some concepts of JSP aren't applicable in that case(session),
but there must be a way to bypass those...