tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Alexander Leyke <AlexLey...@cs.com>
Subject Re: tomcat-dev Digest 6 May 2003 21:45:53 -0000 Issue 1362
Date Tue, 06 May 2003 23:03:09 GMT

> RE: TomcatStarter class causes race condition
> From:
> "Mladen Turk" <mturk@apache.org>
> Date:
> Tue, 6 May 2003 22:37:59 +0200
>
> To:
> "'Tomcat Developers List'" <tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org>,
> <aolserver@aol.net>
>
>IMO wouldn't help you, cause introducing wait will still give you 500 or
>404.

Actually, modified behavior does exactly what I want - I get back
"cannot connect" in the browser until Tomcat completely bootstrapped
itself, and hardware load balancer won't take the server into rotation.
I tested it.

>We had that mechanism bundled inside loadbalacer. look at the
>http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/jakarta-tomcat-connectors/jk/native2/c
>ommon/jk_worker_lb.c
>(see rev. 1.28), but I've dropped that, cause it doesn't belogs there.
>Also, that doesn't solve the non-jni connection (someday we'll have
>service channel that will solve such cases).

Agreed, Tomcat as daemon calls for different approach.

>The TomcatStarter is going to be dropped, as well as tomcat-jni
>altogether.

What do you mean by latter? Surely, it will still be possible to run
Tomcat in-process via ajp13-jni ? Please advise what I should do about
the immediate problem - since there is no interest in change to
TomcatStarter, perhaps I should derive an AOLserver specific class and
overload main()...

Thanks -Alex