tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Alexander Leyke <AlexLey...@cs.com>
Subject TomcatStarter class causes race condition
Date Tue, 06 May 2003 19:39:44 GMT
Hi,

I am having a slight issue with the way TomcatStarter works. Due to
bootstrapping Tomcat in a new thread, it is possible that single-process
Web server (AOLserver in my case, and I suspect IIS as well) becomes
ready to accept connections before Tomcat is completely initialized. In
other words, there is a cold start period when Web server responds with
500 status to any JSP request. This is definitely not desirable on a
server farm with load balancing, where server's readiness to accept
connections automatically places it in rotation.

I propose a new argument, "-wait", that would inform TomcatStarter not
to create new thread for bootstrapping Tomcat. Any objections to me
making the change available with next installment of nsjk2 software?

Thanks - Alex