tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "David Rees" <...@greenhydrant.com>
Subject Re: mod_jk 1.2.3 source distribution update - one more time
Date Thu, 22 May 2003 08:09:59 GMT
Glenn Nielsen said:
> So that we don't have to keep bumping the rev number I would
> like to make sure that the mod jk 1.2.x release has been tested
> on as many platforms as possible before making an official release.

Maybe I'm missing something, but instead of making dozens of fake releases
do one of a few things:

1. Instruct people who want to test on other platforms to download the
code from CVS. (IE, don't do anything!)

2. Adopt the release plan the other Apache projects use (don't worry about
revision numbers, but label them alpha, beta or production quality)

3. Use a new naming scheme which includes beta and or release-candidate
release (1.2.4-rc1)

4. Just do the release and increment revisions as necessary.  If a small
bug is found, fix it and bump up the revision number and who cares that a
release number is "wasted".

It seems that any one of these methods would be better than having
multiple 1.2.4 releases out there floating around.  IMO, not releasing the
release to the main server doesn't make a difference, the code will still
be out there floating around unless you give it a different revision.  I
prefer option #4 with #2 close behind.

-Dave