tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Barker" <wbar...@wilshire.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat-catalina/catalina/src/share/org/apache/coyote/tomcat5 CoyoteConnector.java
Date Thu, 22 May 2003 18:35:13 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Costin Manolache" <cmanolache@yahoo.com>
To: <tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, May 22, 2003 6:45 AM
Subject: Re: cvs commit:
jakarta-tomcat-catalina/catalina/src/share/org/apache/coyote/tomcat5
CoyoteConnector.java

> Remy Maucherat wrote:
>
> > billbarker@apache.org wrote:
> >> billbarker    2003/05/21 20:43:37
> >>
> >>   Modified:    catalina/src/share/org/apache/coyote/tomcat5
> >>                         CoyoteConnector.java
> >>   Log:
> >>   Initial version of the proposal to pass-through all attributes to the
> >>   protocolHandler, and let it deal.
> >>
> >>   Now, only explictly configured attributes are passed through to the
> >>   Protocol.  It is the Protocol's responsibility to have the correct
> >>   default attributes configured.  This way, the HTTP/1.1 connector can
> >>   default the value of "connectionTimeout" to one value, and the
> >>   Jk-Coyote connector can default it to another.
> >>
> >>   For now, I'm leaving the getters and setters for all of the different
> >>   attributes, so that they can still be seen from the JMX consol.  In
the
> >>   transistion, some of the values shown may be wrong because of the
> >>   paragraph above.
> >>
> >>   For now, I'm leaving in the SSL SocketFactory support (for backwards
> >>   compatibility).  It should be deprecated.  You can configure SSL
> >>   support without it by e.g. specifying
> >>   "property[keystore]=/path/to/my/.keystore" on the connector.
> >
> > I'm ok with leaving that in for compat.
> >
> > For JMX, we need to expose get/setProperty as operations. Is that done
> > automagically ? (maybe so, I consider the Costin improved modeler to be
> > automagical ;-) )
> >
> > Remy
>
> Maybe we need to add more magic for that. For example we could add JMX
> attributes that map to setAttribute(name, value ) instead of
> setName(value).
>
> I think the real problem is that we are configuring the wrong object -
> it would be better to have the jk, http components ( and whatever else
> is configurable ) directly configured. That would require a bit too much
> change.

I agree.  The current "server.xml" configuration of Connectors is ugly.  It
would be better to have something like:
  <Connector .....>
     <Protocol className="org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol"
port="8080" ... />
  </Connector>

and have the Protocol self-register with Modeler.  But this would be a
pretty big change (and I can't imagine that Amy would be happy with re-doing
the admin webapp yet again ;-).