tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Costin Manolache" <cmanola...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat-catalina/catalina/src/share/org/apache/catalina/core StandardContext.java
Date Tue, 08 Apr 2003 17:24:28 GMT
On Sun, 06 Apr 2003 15:09:05 -0700, Amy Roh wrote:

> Hi Costin,
>
>>   Few more fixes - Amy, that should solve reloading problems ( at least it does for
me ).

> It fixes the "not available" problem.  However, it seems the reloading
> forces admin to log out everytime I "commit".  Therefore, "not
> availalbe" is gone but I need to keep loggin in.

That's a feature, not a bug ( I think ) :-)

Ok, there are 2 ways to restart. The "soft" way will just change the
classloader - changes in web.xml are not detected ( new servlets,
mappings, etc ). This is triggered by manager reload, via reload().

The "hard" reload - stop()/start() - will do a clean restart - and
changes in web.xml should be detected. Since you are touching web.xml -
I think the correct behavior is to reload web.xml, i.e. a hard reset.

We can add an intermediary reload - where session is preserved ( this is
what causes reauthentication ) but we do a full reload. Not sure what
would happen if you change the roles in web.xml. But I don't think
this should be the default behavior for stop()/start().

Probably a better solution would be to call reload instead of stop/start,
and also fix the "reload" to read web.xml ( and still preserve sessions ).

Costin