tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <cmanola...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [5.0.2] New tag at the end of the week ?
Date Tue, 22 Apr 2003 23:23:04 GMT
Amy Roh wrote:

>> When context is created, it inherits its domain name from its parent
>> engine.  If we don't allow multiple engines in one domain, how can we
>> move it under the same domain?
>
> To clarify more...it's not right to distribute managed objects belonging
> to one domain and one server across multiple domain names.  And we're
> doing that if we create more than one engine since we use engine's name
> as its domain for all components under it.

For tomcat, the Engine is the servlet engine implementation. It is not right
to have multiple engines in the same domain - just like you wouldn't want
to have 2 distinct j2eeServers in the same domain.

If you create multiple servlet engines - that's fine, as long as you don't
mix them togheter.

I think it is ok to have the WebModules registered in both domains, or
registered in a separate domain - i.e. the j2eeServer will manage the
modules lifecycle ( which is probably the case ). Engine still needs to
find them - or the Context still needs to find the Engine, either by double
registration or by using an attribute. However logically the WebModule
can belong to the j2eeServer domain - I see no problem with that, it's
the server that actually deploys/create/manage them.

Costin