tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <cmanola...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat-catalina/catalina/src/share/org/apache/coyote/tomcat5 CoyoteConnector.java MapperListener.java
Date Tue, 22 Apr 2003 18:05:23 GMT
Remy Maucherat wrote:

> costin@apache.org wrote:
>> costin      2003/04/22 10:11:34
>>
>>   Modified:    catalina/src/share/org/apache/catalina/core
>>                         StandardHost.java
>>                catalina/src/share/org/apache/coyote/tomcat5
>>                         CoyoteConnector.java MapperListener.java
>>   Log:
>>   revert the engine name.
>>
>>   Amy - I'm really sorry for missunderstanding your proposal, I tought
>>   you wanted to have multiple engines - with different names, but still
>>   use the domain.
>>
>>   Adding the name= to the engine object name will make a lot of things
>>   very complicated.
>>
>>   I'll start debugging the admin/ and try to undo your changes ( tonight
>>   - I have a lot of work for today ). If you could undo them quickly, it
>>   would be great.
>>
>>   Is it very difficult to have the engine name==domain.
>
> I support that veto. I was actually writing the veto message, when I saw
> Costin's email saying it was a great idea.
>
> I liked his plan of having 1 service <-> 1 engine <-> 1 JMX domain. At
> least it's clean and saves headaches :)

It was a big missunderstanding, my mistake.

I am +1 and think it's a good idea to have multiple engines running - with
different name, and visible in the admin. This can be done in server.xml
by creating 2 Engine sections, and using different names.

However StandardEngine.init() will take the name and set it as domain. I'll
commit a change to have setName() do it directly, to make sure this is done
as early as possible.

The engine - and _all_ components ( mappers, contexts, hosts, etc ) that are
used in that engine must all be in the same domain, and a component can use
it's name to construct the names of other components. And this should be as
simple as possible. If we mix 2 engines in the same domain - a lot of stuff
becomes very complicated.

Costin