tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <cmanola...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [5.0] Deployer (new client feature)
Date Thu, 17 Apr 2003 16:42:23 GMT
Remy Maucherat wrote:

> Jean-Francois Arcand wrote:
>>> The deployer will not be ready in Tomcat 5.0.2 (unless people think
>>> it's a very important new feature, and would like it to be included).
>>> In 5.0.3, it will be distributed as a separate download.
>>>
>>> Comments ?
>>
>> Very interesting.
>>
>> One suggestion: I'm realy not an expert with Xdoclet, but  we may want
>> re-use some of their work or try to have a similiar functionality (not
>> for 5.0.3 of course). Being able to deploy a Servlet/Jsp without having
>> to write a web.xml file will be very helpfull and improve beginner user
>> experience. I know we already have the default web.xml, but I think
>> that's a way to explore.
>
> XDoclet won't do anything for JSP. For servlets, you need to have some
> specific javadocs with the mappings. XDoclet would then generate the
> descriptors.

AFAIK it can generate .TLD files for taglibs - which is quite usefull.

> XDoclet is particularly useful when the descriptors are very painful to
> write (ex: EJB). I think web.xml is ok in terms of complexity, so
> learning the necessary javadocs tags is IMO a waste of time.

Not quite. The main benefit of xdoclet ( IMO ) is not that it saves you from
learning web.xml or .tld syntax, but the fact that it helps keeping them
in sync, and keeps all the information grouped next to the source.

> To summarize, first time users would be more helped by a GUI app (or
> Eclipse plugin, or whatever) to generate the web.xml, and this GUI could
> then reuse the proposed new deployer to do the last part of the job.

I think it's a combination of all. I think Xdoclet is as important for
advanced users ( who use Vi :-) - most beginners will probably just use
taglibs and will probably develop JSP pages or simple servlets.

BTW, the modeler descriptor is another important target for xdoclet, it
would  save us from manually updating it and make it clear in the code what
is exposed to the console, and keep the docs in sync.

Costin