tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <cmanola...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [5.0] Xerces 2 impact on startup
Date Sun, 13 Apr 2003 15:47:17 GMT
Remy Maucherat wrote:

> Costin Manolache wrote:
>> Remy Maucherat wrote:
>>

>>>Just an observation ...
>>>When I remove Xerces 2.3 and rely on the Crimson parser integrated in my
>>>new JDK (Sun 1.4.2 beta), startup time goes down 20%. Impressive
>>>difference (I would have thought the later 2.x releases would improve
>>>performance :-( ).
>>

>> Well, you know my position - Xerces is a great parser, but we should
>> distribute crimson ( for JDK1.3 ) and use the parser include in 1.4
>> otherwise.
>>
>> It's not only speed - size also matters, plus the idea that we only need
>> SAX for tomcat runtime.
>
> Indeed, it's only 200k.
>
> <sarcasm>
> Anyone around to point out it can't do schema validation ? (which as we
> all know, is a killer feature; for performance, that is ;-) )
> </sarcasm>
>
> About the startup time, I didn't try to profile or optimize it. I'll
> continue focusing on other optimizations for now, but have to admit this
> is very important for good user experience (like JSP compilation for
> webapps).

I agree - the startup time is important. Tomcat itself ( with no app )
starts very quickly - and IMO caching the context info ( in a .ser file )
would take care of most of it. That's why I started to add "Serialiable"
markers and sort out the "transient" fields that shouldn't be saved.

However there are many more important issues - I don't expect this to get
into 5.0. Getting the code stable and finishing few remaining open issues
should be the biggest priority.

Moving back to crimson - or no parser at all for JDK1.4+ - and having
a small bundle with ant+xerces+a script that validates an XML file
against DTD and schema would be an improvement for startup time,
and reduce the size and complexity.  My +1 if anyone wants to propose it :-)

Costin