tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <cmanola...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: default JAAS realm for StandardEngine
Date Tue, 08 Apr 2003 04:23:26 GMT
Amy Roh wrote:

> Not sure.  I know it won't be trivial.  As you probably know, user,

Ok.

> Well, since JAASRealm is set as default Realm for engine, it gets added
> when an engine is created via admin.  JAASRealm isn't currently
> supported in admin.  What are the editable properties for the realm?

We can just set the UserDatabaseRealm as default in server.xml. ( again,
if something is set explicitely it should override the JAAS realm - if
not it's a bug that will be fixed ).

JAAS has its own config mechanism - and not a simple one. The main benefit
is that it is a standard and it is supported ( or should be ) by many
applications.

In reality - most of the admin operations are probably not possible
via JAAS. The API is intended for authentication - not user management.
User management can be implemented - if we really want to - but only
for some LoginModules.

Costin