tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <cmanola...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: disable jmx option in tc5
Date Wed, 02 Apr 2003 21:32:01 GMT
Remy Maucherat wrote:

> Costin Manolache wrote:
>> Hmmm. We could use the "jsr77" option ( that is now in 4.1.x ) and
>> generate JSR77 names only if it is on.
>>
>> Or we could just use the other kind of names allways - and have a
>> separate module that re-register the objects with JSR77 names ( if needed
>> ).
>>
>> But the real issue is that a product shouldn't "handle JSR77 for
>> webmodules",  that's plain wrong. The mbeans for WebModule and Servlet
>> must be handled by tomcat - who is the one that knows when a servlet
>> or webmodule is instantiated  or removed or changes state, and can
>> provide usefull info ( statistics, etc ).
>
> I completely agree, but the webmodule users don't agree, apparently. For
> example, the core JBoss folks insist that JBoss should be the one doing
> that JSR 77 stuff, for some reason, and that the web container should
> provide methods to access the stats (we do, so it's ok, I guess).

That's plain stupid IMO.

Tomcat implements the servlet and webmodule - so most likely knows better
what's manageable inside and how to manage. Well - they'll probably loose
some features and dumb down the management of servlets and webmodules.

Not sure what you mean by "webmodule user" - I assume you're talking about
the JSR77 implementors. I can't see how a webmodule user would want the
webmodule managed by a third party entity instead of the servlet container.

>> A product that creates some wrappers or dummy objects with JSR77 names
>> is useless - they'll have no real management value, since you would
>> manage the wrong components.
>>
>> The EJB container should handle the JSR77 components that are related
>> with EJBs, and tomcat ( or whatever servlet implementation ) should
>> handle the JSR77 for its components.
>>
>> ( jboss seems to be one case where jsr77 is implemented outside of the
>> servlet container ).
>
> Indeed, and there's no change on the horizon.

That means we'll probably have to have a flag to disable jsr77.

It'll be ugly - since tomcat itself relies on the WebModule and Servlet to
be manageable and expose a number of attributes and control.

Not sure how this will work - we basically need to be able to deal with dumb
WebModules wrappers and be able to located the real component somehow.

Costin