tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Costin Manolache <cmanola...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Why does Tomcat use xerces under java 1.4 instead of the internal jvm classes?
Date Wed, 02 Apr 2003 18:26:00 GMT
Jean-Francois Arcand wrote:

>>At least in tomcat5 I never use xerces - only the bundled parser, and so
>>far I've seen no problems.
>>
> Crimson is a very good parser, and it still faster that Xerces in some
> case. The only reason I see for bundling xerces is for when we turn on
> validation & the web.xml used a schema for validation.

So why not making the "web.xml validator" a separate download ? If
people want to turn on validation, they'll need to get the validator - which
will include xerces and some simple script to do the validation.

BTW, I've seen a lot of pain with the DTD validation turned on - yes, I know
that reversing the order of <icon> and <display-name> would make the app
incompatible and violate the spec ( in 2.2 and 2.3 at least ), but many
users seem to fail to remember the exact order of the 24 elements.

Costin