tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: Why commons-logging-api.jar?
Date Thu, 24 Apr 2003 18:35:44 GMT

Howdy,
I've been following this thread with great interest.

>What prevents you from putting log4j.jar in $TOMCAT_HOME/common/lib of
>Tomcat?

I want my web applications to be self-contained, i.e. everything under
the docBase or in one war file.  I want my web applications to use
log4j.  I don't care how the container is logging, whether it's using
log4j or commons-logging or whatever.

As long as the log4j version in my WEB-INF/lib can be different from the
one in common/lib, the above suggestion is OK with me.  But maybe
$CATALINA_HOME/server/lib is a better location.

It seems like a big chunk of the problem occurs when the server and the
apps share classloaders.  I've been avoiding the use of the
common/shared library repositories, using only WEB-INF/lib, and haven't
run into any problems using log4j.

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics