tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: Why does Tomcat use xerces under java 1.4 instead of the internal jvm classes?
Date Wed, 02 Apr 2003 14:04:14 GMT

Howdy,

>Isn't Crimson in JDK1.4 ? I remember we decided to disable XML schema
>validation.

Crimson is in JDK 1.4.  Crimson is officially "hibernated" and my
understanding is there are no forthcoming releases.  I don't know if
Tiger (aka JDK 1.5) will include Crimson, another XML parser
implementation, or neither.  Of course, since tomcat is programmed
specifically to JAXP with configurable implementation classes, switching
is easy ;)

>At least in tomcat5 I never use xerces - only the bundled parser, and
so
>far I've seen no problems.

I too use Crimson without a problem.  But see above regarding the
future.

>XML schema validation is just bad - if the spec would _require_ the

I agree.  And I'm seeing a general trend regarding extensible schemas,
such as our own server.xml, that makes validation nearly or completely
intractable.

On the performance side, I don't see tomcat internals needing to
validate many large XML documents concurrently, and this is pretty much
the only scenario where parser implementation performance comes up.  For
small documents like server.xml, all the parsers I've tried are so quick
that performance isn't really a deciding factor between them.

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics