tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Ceki Gülcü <c...@qos.ch>
Subject Re: Why commons-logging-api.jar?
Date Thu, 24 Apr 2003 14:48:18 GMT

At 07:29 AM 4/24/2003 -0700, Costin Manolache wrote:
>The reason is very simple - and you actually know it.

If I knew the reason I would not be asking. What is the very simple
reason?

> > Especially in light of numerous problems with unfound factories,
> > incompatible classes, unimplemented methods, ... all of which are
> > class loader related.
>
>Most of those problems are traced to the fact that commons-logging is
>forced to include adapters for log4j and logkit.

What do you mean by commons-logging is forced to include adapters for
log4j and logkit. What is the purpose of commons-logging if not to
wrap logging APIs?

>commons-logging-api contains only the logging API and things that don't
>depend on external packages. If you want to use log4j - you must deploy
>log4j and the adapter for log4j ( which currently means commons-logging.jar,
>the full package, since there is no standalone adapter ).

If I understand correctly, JDK 1.4 logging is considered as internal
as opposed to external.  My goal is to understand your motivations and
technical reasoning in order to better answer user questions on
log4j-user@.

       http://www.qos.ch/shop/products/clm_t.jsp