tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Ceki Gülcü <c...@qos.ch>
Subject Re: Why commons-logging-api.jar?
Date Thu, 24 Apr 2003 08:39:09 GMT

At 01:16 AM 4/24/2003 -0700, Bill Barker wrote:
>Urm, err, the right place for this is commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org.

I was actually more interested in why Tomcat developers chose to
deploy these jar files the way they did. I can of course redirect the
question to commons-dev.

>The reason is to not override the copy of commons-logging.jar in WEB-INF/lib
>(and I can tell you that I've currently got Axis working great with this
>config :).

I fail to understand. Isn't the class loading mechanism in 4.1.x such
that jar files in WEB-INF/lib get precedence? If so, why is
commons-logging-api.jar needed if the web-applicaiton class loader
will anyhow fist use the libraries that are in WEB-INF/lib?

Does Axis have a tree-like class loader structure like Tomcat?

In any case, thank you for having taken the time to answer my question.