tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: embedding tomcat into a java based http server
Date Sat, 19 Apr 2003 19:57:55 GMT
Ron King wrote:
> Remy Maucherat wrote:
> I was talking about a java.nio http stack, a program called Haboob. It
> is faster than Apache 1.3, I don't know about
> Apache 2.0. So from what your'e saying, that type of server is
> incompatible? I was thinking that the HTTP server would pass
> along servlet request without modifying them, is that how it could work?

NBIO is a different programming model (if you're just talking about nio
style buffers, then Coyote has that). The J2EE model is: 1 request <-> 1
thread.

That model has scalability problems (we can hope this gets partially
resolved eventually), but is IMO the best in terms of raw speed on
modern OSes, and ease of programming applications.

Personally, I think NBIO is best suited for small, simpler daemons, or
very specific scenarios for HTTP.

Remy