tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Ron King <ronck...@cox.net>
Subject Re: embedding tomcat into a java based http server
Date Sat, 19 Apr 2003 18:48:14 GMT
Remy Maucherat wrote:

> Ron King wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I have a desire to connect tomcat to a http 1.1 web server that is
>> written in java.
>> I've seen the jakarta-tomcat-connectors stuff, but  they all seem to
>> be for web
>> servers that are _NOT_ written in java.
>>
>> Shouldn't I be able to take advantage of the fact that my http server
>> is written
>> in java to efficiently connect the server to tomcat? The reason I
>> want to do this
>> is because this web server is a lot faster than Tomcat on 'normal'
>> static content,
>> and I would like to use it instead of Apache so I would have an all
>> java solution.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>

> I find that odd, for the following reasons:
> - Coyote HTTP/1.1 has pretty well tweaked HTTP handling (with
> OptimizeIt, I can't find anything to optimize, so I feel pretty good
> about that part of the code :-D ), and is very fast for a threaded
> HTTP stack.
> - If you have a NBIO HTTP stack, it will be mostly useless for Tomcat
> (the Srevlet API mandates a threaded design).
> - The static resource serving component is being optimized further in
> Tomcat 5, so that its throughtput is closer to a hardcoded servlet (it
> is implemented as a servlet to be able to fullfill the API
> requirements, supporting filters, invocation through the request
> dispatcher, etc). I think it is fast enough for at least 99% of users.
> - I think your server will be less stable/reliable than Apache 2 for
> static file handling ;-)
> - You can probably code a valve or hardcode something to serve files
> fast(er) which doesn't require writing a completely new HTTP/1.1 stack.
>
> If you still want to do it, you can have a look again in j-t-c
> (there's a Java HTTP/1.1 stack in there).
>
> Remy

I was talking about a java.nio http stack, a program called Haboob. It
is faster than Apache 1.3, I don't know about
Apache 2.0. So from what your'e saying, that type of server is
incompatible? I was thinking that the HTTP server would pass
along servlet request without modifying them, is that how it could work?