tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: embedding tomcat into a java based http server
Date Sat, 19 Apr 2003 17:34:41 GMT
Ron King wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have a desire to connect tomcat to a http 1.1 web server that is
> written in java.
> I've seen the jakarta-tomcat-connectors stuff, but  they all seem to be
> for web
> servers that are _NOT_ written in java.
>
> Shouldn't I be able to take advantage of the fact that my http server is
> written
> in java to efficiently connect the server to tomcat? The reason I want
> to do this
> is because this web server is a lot faster than Tomcat on 'normal'
> static content,
> and I would like to use it instead of Apache so I would have an all java
> solution.
>
> Any suggestions?

I find that odd, for the following reasons:
- Coyote HTTP/1.1 has pretty well tweaked HTTP handling (with
OptimizeIt, I can't find anything to optimize, so I feel pretty good
about that part of the code :-D ), and is very fast for a threaded HTTP
stack.
- If you have a NBIO HTTP stack, it will be mostly useless for Tomcat
(the Srevlet API mandates a threaded design).
- The static resource serving component is being optimized further in
Tomcat 5, so that its throughtput is closer to a hardcoded servlet (it
is implemented as a servlet to be able to fullfill the API requirements,
supporting filters, invocation through the request dispatcher, etc). I
think it is fast enough for at least 99% of users.
- I think your server will be less stable/reliable than Apache 2 for
static file handling ;-)
- You can probably code a valve or hardcode something to serve files
fast(er) which doesn't require writing a completely new HTTP/1.1 stack.

If you still want to do it, you can have a look again in j-t-c (there's
a Java HTTP/1.1 stack in there).

Remy