tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [5.0] Deployer (new client feature)
Date Thu, 17 Apr 2003 16:15:57 GMT
Jean-Francois Arcand wrote:
>> The deployer will not be ready in Tomcat 5.0.2 (unless people think
>> it's a very important new feature, and would like it to be included).
>> In 5.0.3, it will be distributed as a separate download.
>>
>> Comments ?
>
> Very interesting.
>
> One suggestion: I'm realy not an expert with Xdoclet, but  we may want
> re-use some of their work or try to have a similiar functionality (not
> for 5.0.3 of course). Being able to deploy a Servlet/Jsp without having
> to write a web.xml file will be very helpfull and improve beginner user
> experience. I know we already have the default web.xml, but I think
> that's a way to explore.

XDoclet won't do anything for JSP. For servlets, you need to have some
specific javadocs with the mappings. XDoclet would then generate the
descriptors.

XDoclet is particularly useful when the descriptors are very painful to
write (ex: EJB). I think web.xml is ok in terms of complexity, so
learning the necessary javadocs tags is IMO a waste of time.

To summarize, first time users would be more helped by a GUI app (or
Eclipse plugin, or whatever) to generate the web.xml, and this GUI could
then reuse the proposed new deployer to do the last part of the job.

Remy