tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Jean-Francois Arcand <jfarc...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [5.0] Deployer (new client feature)
Date Thu, 17 Apr 2003 14:20:02 GMT

Remy Maucherat wrote:

> The goal would be to provide a useful tool for people using Tomcat 5
> in production environments. Using the tool will not be required to
> deploy a web application in Tomcat 5 (ie, all the necessary
> environment to compile JSPs, the old Jasper runtime, server side XML
> validation when enabled, will remain present or still be useable
> through some configuration in the case of XML validation).
>
> The deployer will consist in a set of JARs, one Ant script, some shell
> scripts for convinience, and one HTML documentation page (also to be
> added to the main documentation bundle). As a side effect, the
> deployer will also better showcase the capabilities of the manager
> application and the associated Ant tasks.
>
> Deploying a webapp through the client would do the following operations:
> - clean the build directory (the "build" subdir of the deployer)
> - copy the to-be-deployed webapp to the build directory
> - compile JSPs to /WEB-INF/src
> - compile generated servlets to /WEB-INF/classes
> - generate mappings for those servlets, and automatically insert the
> mappings inside the existing web.xml (using DOM, a feature to be added
> to JSPC)
> - as a convinience feature, compile .java sources present in
> /WEB-INF/classes
> - (optional) remove /WEB-INF/src folder
> - (optional) remove *.java from /WEB-INF/classes
> - (optional) remove *.jsp from the webapp folders (for security reasons)
> - do a XML schema validation of the webapp's web.xml

> - create a WAR archive of the resulting webapp
> - (optional) use the deploy task to deploy to the Tomcat server
>
> The optional parts will be of course controlled using properties
> (either specified in a properties file or on the command line).
>
> The deployer will not be ready in Tomcat 5.0.2 (unless people think
> it's a very important new feature, and would like it to be included).
> In 5.0.3, it will be distributed as a separate download.
>
> Comments ?

Very interesting.

One suggestion: I'm realy not an expert with Xdoclet, but  we may want
re-use some of their work or try to have a similiar functionality (not
for 5.0.3 of course). Being able to deploy a Servlet/Jsp without having
to write a web.xml file will be very helpfull and improve beginner user
experience. I know we already have the default web.xml, but I think
that's a way to explore.

-- Jeanfrancois