tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Jean-Francois Arcand <jfarc...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [5.0] Xerces 2 impact on startup
Date Sun, 13 Apr 2003 14:22:01 GMT

Remy Maucherat wrote:

> Just an observation ...
> When I remove Xerces 2.3 and rely on the Crimson parser integrated in
> my new JDK (Sun 1.4.2 beta), startup time goes down 20%. Impressive
> difference (I would have thought the later 2.x releases would improve
> performance :-( ).

And it is not better with 2.4 :-(. As Costin often recommend, we should
start thinking having a "deploy tool/validation tool" where Xerces will
be used only if the web-app uses schema for validation. IMO, we can keep
the validation part as it is but improve the error message in case
validation is turned on, schema is used and Crimson throws an exception.
Redirect people to the "validation tool". Something like:

catalina validate -webapp= .

This script can simply call xerces with validation turned on. And then
we can start improving the error message (the schema error produced
currently are ugly) by applying xslt to the output.

And only the deploy tool will be broken when a new Xerces is out (just
kidding ;-)).....

-- Jeanfrancois