tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [5.0] Xerces 2 impact on startup
Date Sun, 13 Apr 2003 09:37:57 GMT
Costin Manolache wrote:
> Remy Maucherat wrote:
>

>>Just an observation ...
>>When I remove Xerces 2.3 and rely on the Crimson parser integrated in my
>>new JDK (Sun 1.4.2 beta), startup time goes down 20%. Impressive
>>difference (I would have thought the later 2.x releases would improve
>>performance :-( ).
>

> Well, you know my position - Xerces is a great parser, but we should
> distribute crimson ( for JDK1.3 ) and use the parser include in 1.4
> otherwise.
>
> It's not only speed - size also matters, plus the idea that we only need SAX
> for tomcat runtime.

Indeed, it's only 200k.

<sarcasm>
Anyone around to point out it can't do schema validation ? (which as we
all know, is a killer feature; for performance, that is ;-) )
</sarcasm>

About the startup time, I didn't try to profile or optimize it. I'll
continue focusing on other optimizations for now, but have to admit this
is very important for good user experience (like JSP compilation for
webapps).

Remy