tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [5.0] Xerces 2 impact on startup
Date Sat, 12 Apr 2003 21:54:16 GMT
Jess M. Holle wrote:
> Given that Xerces is a heavier (byte-code-quantity-wise) implementation,
> I would guess that initial classload of this would take substantially
> longer than Crimson for starters.
>
> The more interesting/worrisome bit is if additional operations
> thereafter are much slower...

Well, TC startup is rather segmented (first, modeler descriptors, then
server.xml parsing, then everything else). I added numbers for the 3
operations, and all three are consistently 20% slower. Not that it
wasn't news for Xerces 2.0.x; I thought it would then improve (like TC
4.x performance, which improves gradually), silly me :)

Remy