tomcat-dev mailing list archives

From Remy Maucherat <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: disable jmx option in tc5
Date Wed, 02 Apr 2003 20:41:59 GMT
Costin Manolache wrote:
> Hmmm. We could use the "jsr77" option ( that is now in 4.1.x ) and generate
> JSR77 names only if it is on.
>
> Or we could just use the other kind of names allways - and have a separate
> module that re-register the objects with JSR77 names ( if needed ).
>
> But the real issue is that a product shouldn't "handle JSR77 for
> webmodules",  that's plain wrong. The mbeans for WebModule and Servlet
> must be handled by tomcat - who is the one that knows when a servlet
> or webmodule is instantiated  or removed or changes state, and can provide
> usefull info ( statistics, etc ).

I completely agree, but the webmodule users don't agree, apparently. For
example, the core JBoss folks insist that JBoss should be the one doing
that JSR 77 stuff, for some reason, and that the web container should
provide methods to access the stats (we do, so it's ok, I guess).

> A product that creates some wrappers or dummy objects with JSR77 names
> is useless - they'll have no real management value, since you would manage
> the wrong components.
>
> The EJB container should handle the JSR77 components that are related with
> EJBs, and tomcat ( or whatever servlet implementation ) should handle the
> JSR77 for its components.
>
> ( jboss seems to be one case where jsr77 is implemented outside of the
> servlet container ).

Indeed, and there's no change on the horizon.

Remy